Are the Original Pokémon Games Still Worth Playing?

Gubsy
Gubsy

Outside of the novelty of having played them I'd say pass on the Generation 1 games nowadays. The Generation 3 remakes of the Gen 1 games, Fire Red and Leaf Green, to me are just the original games but better. Better sprites, better music, better battle mechanics, better item and PC management, better polish, better… everything. I might be biased since FRLG were my first Pokemon games, and I will acknowledge how impactful the original Gameboy games were, but a game being "impactful" and a game being "good" aren't necessarily synonymous. That being said, as the first ever entries, they do encapsulate everything the Pokemon series strives to be, so if they are what you decide to play, you will still have a pretty fun time. Unless an NPC uses Wrap or freezes you, then just put the game down.

Cody LeVon
Cody LeVon

Regardless, Nintendo needs to make these games, as well as ALL of their legacy content, available to play or download on their newer systems like the switch. Sure, Pokémon Let’s Go P&E were fun remakes, but they were tied to motion controls gimmicks, and if you played with your starter all the time, the game was easy as poop.
Let the hard core fans experience their nostalgia. People will literally pay good hard earned money to replay the games of their past.

Militant Pacifist
Militant Pacifist

Yes. Specially Emerald, which is the best mainline Pokémon game ever made.

Not Me
Not Me

Im playing Pokemon LeafGreen and yes its so worth it its so fun

GoWikus Community Production Channel Official
GoWikus Community Production Channel Official

Super, Wow Amazing Very Good, Yes thank you very much my friend halo my friend

Declan
Declan

Yes. Although FRLG are better, this still hold up well.

Ruffio Lorenzo
Ruffio Lorenzo

The only acceptable answer to this question is yes

VicGeorge2K6
VicGeorge2K6

My first Pokemon was Pokemon Go on the phone. More fun just casually going around catching Pokemon that pop up here and there.

Poi
Poi

I'd rather replay one of the newer Pokémon main games than the older ones.

Darthbacca_ 009
Darthbacca_ 009

My first Pokémon game was emerald

Sir PH
Sir PH

So this is why Zion could not make his Mario Maker stage on time

Nicholas Kiehiunglie
Nicholas Kiehiunglie

literaly just now, earlier today, just got my Charmander from Pallet

DrViperVideos
DrViperVideos

Pluto Icecream
Pluto Icecream

They're totally worth it. I just played Red again last month and MAN, Gen 1 sprites ooze so much charm. Like Ivysaur in Gen 1 looks like he just ripped a juicy fart.

CoolDude
CoolDude

They are for nonstalgia reasons and a very laid back game, but why not go for the GBA remakes? Those were great.

deku
deku

Was honestly thinking about whether these were still worth playing
I’ve played only diamond and X
Both were really good, but I wanted to see if the old ones were better

iSupermanCKi
iSupermanCKi

I still play them all the time. Either emulated on my phone, on my 3DS or on the original hardware with an IPS modded Gameboy. I can get through Red in a few hours now.

Charlie Username
Charlie Username

are they worth playing for someone who never played them? NO.
they are tedious grindfests with a super broken battle system.

are they worth playing for someone who played them back in 1998? …yeah probably.

Davion
Davion

Me, who costantly replays Red/Blue/Yellow: “interesting”

S_MacIsaac
S_MacIsaac

Pandora Vex
Pandora Vex

I love the original games. I just wish the running shoes existed. The slow walking drives me crazy.

Ziggy7800Pro
Ziggy7800Pro

The answer is yes for me. I play Gen one a lot. It is one of my favorite games off all time.

Roy Ryan
Roy Ryan

Yeah, I booted up old Blue version a while ago and honestly, I didn't last long. There are just too many quality of life improvements that have developed in the later games. Leaf Green and Fire Red are the way to go, in my humble opinion. Unpopular as it may be, I also really like Let's Go Pikachu. What can I say, the catching mechanic worked great for me, I really enjoyed it!

Adam Fox
Adam Fox

Guys can you please cover the new space jam movie, it is about gaming, and it has bugs bunny 🐰😂💜

Benz Quizon
Benz Quizon

Gen 1 is the worst Gen of all time. Gen 2 onwards are all far superior than Gen 1. The only thing that keeps it overrated is the fact that it is the first one and it is severely due to nostalgia.

Emrls
Emrls

X & Y was the one missed

Ashmander
Ashmander

Virtual console yes. Others as long as you can find a way to move them to more modern games yes.greet video