Microsoft Tried To Double Price Of Xbox Live Gold & It Went Very Poorly

YongYea
YongYea

$120 a year to play games online, even free to play? No thanks. Glad Microsoft saw sense and quickly reversed the decision, and they're even making it so you don't need Xbox Live Gold to play f2p titles in the future.

SURPRISE MECHANICS (MERCH): http://www.yongyea.com

– JT

– Mark Taylor

– Theron Webb

– Yue

Andrew
Andrew

Business Decision: Why don't we increase our subscription costs by a large amount to make larger profits.
Industry Decision: How would our consumers react to a slight price hike like how Netflix does every year or so

Matt Zarilla
Matt Zarilla

As a hardcore PlayStation fan, I'm NOT laughing at this. Its fun to talk smack about our rival platform's blunders but this is not a laughing matter. It's greedy, manipulative and unashamedly anti-consumer. In the end, we're all gamers and we need to stand together in solidarity against bullshit like this because it can happen to anyone of us. Thankfully Microsoft reversed course in a matter hours; but we also have to keep vigilant because these companies can turn on us in an instant.

TheFallofTheEleventh
TheFallofTheEleventh

That moment when the Bullies get bullied lol. Don’t mess with gamers

MikeyMutz
MikeyMutz

Doesn't surprise me with minimum wage going up the price of everything will go up.

MrHack4never
MrHack4never

Eventually, they'll turn Minecraft into a subscription service, because people play that game A LOT

M M
M M

This doesn’t surprise me one bit; people were saying Xbox was consumer friendly now but the reality is they aren’t, they’re just pushing this game pass thing really hard which makes them look consumer friendly because they are buying these game companies and putting their games on it. That’s why they did this, to try and get everyone who has xbox gold but not game pass to go and buy game pass ultimate instead. They don’t care about the consumer, they just care about gam pass subscriptions not that it’s a surprise.

26101976bdm
26101976bdm

What about NETFLIX and other video streaming services, are they STILL behind a pay wall?

Erica Chishti
Erica Chishti

Just don't play fortnite…. I'm not into online play plus I find fortnite super annoying (mainly the people not the game) so this doesn't affect me at all but my brother plays online a lot so I get it some people are just more into it and I also see what Xbox was trying to do but that was just a bad way to handle it a lot of company's not just gaming ones are way out of touch at this point
At least XBOX went with the backlash and reversed it and even did the free to play is finally FREE to play

H Koizumi
H Koizumi

How can you honestly say consoles are cheaper when these shit happens? All the shit that they try to bundle in that "service" they charge is free on PC. Console gamers are slow to not notice this bs with extra fees they have to play on their "cheaper console".

Davy FishyStick
Davy FishyStick

I came to this video upset at what Microsoft tried pulling, but after reading all the anti-corporate comments, it makes me glad to see more and more people are taking notice of the greed on display

Guerilla Tactix
Guerilla Tactix

Ew, paying to use the internet you already pay for, on the console you've already paid for, to play the game you've already paid for with others. I cant imagine…

RayRay Awesome
RayRay Awesome

Very glad they changed their minds though, been a Xbox Live subscriber for quite a while now and probably would have quit Gold if that price was really happening.

Never Too Old Gaming
Never Too Old Gaming

Businesses are not people.
They do not have feelings.
They only exist to make money.
They are not looking out for you.
They are not your friend.
They must be held accountable by people or else they will do whatever they want.
They do not exist without you.
You hold power over businesses.
Take back that power.
Stop rewarding anti-consumer practices.
Pressure your Congressperson to hold businesses accountable for anti-consumer practices.
Petition for systematic change and breaking up of the four major corporations: MS, Apple, Google, Amazon.
Do your part. Every voice counts.

Green Lion
Green Lion

Who the hell sees these decisions and is insane enough to think it's a good idea? Glad Microsoft reversed this decision REAL quick. I was already planning to make my next console an Xbox after Sony's sold out to china, but this decision would have made me just quit console gaming as a whole. Getting sick of corporations.

Ross_ UK
Ross_ UK

Amazing MS tried this, after Xbox sales being half Sony last gen. MS make a stupid move every generation. This is up there with “let’s stop people buying used games” last gen.

Merky Beam
Merky Beam

Xbox harp on about choice yet they try and strong arm customers into game pass when the largest user base vasty uses xbox live over game pass. It was a shitty move.

Czahrs
Czahrs

i have it for 2 years, go ahead and try some bullshit

Ethan Redfern
Ethan Redfern

Hey at least they listen to there customers.

Azure_Paladin
Azure_Paladin

I think my little brother told me about this and all I thought was

" Well that's fucking stupid"