Tokenism & Tokenization Explained

Micheal Watts
Micheal Watts

I suppose the only one I could see as ok if it WASN'T for the purpose of making a female version for the sake of progressivism shit was Jane Fosters Thor.
Reason being is Thor still existed, on his own quest had an enchanted Axe and essentially was unworthy. We have seen Beta Ray, and Cap pick up the hammer so Jane Foster picking it up I could see happening.
Ive heard the criticism on her yelling at and disrespecting Odin a lot and fine sure but so have other characters in the MCU, so I don't see that as an issue. The issue I have with her character personally is solely the fact that they did it to tokenize in an attempt to revitalize Odinson…

Question I have here is: Is Tokenization based solely on Intent? Or is it Tokenization because tokenization sure but was it intended or already established.
I know I am delving into other shit here but Avatar the Last Airbender to Legend of Korra and even the Ancestors.. The Avatar could be anyone from one of the four nations that is established so is The Avatar a Tokenized character? No. Considering it is established lore.

YoungRippa59
YoungRippa59

Hilariously, this was made before the Tim Drake tokenzation.

Sebastián Enamorado
Sebastián Enamorado

Eric d July is a smart person put batwing and Cassandra Cain both character are so goofy

SupremeBenSwolo
SupremeBenSwolo

I’ll have this on standby

Starfall 21X
Starfall 21X

Thanks for clearing that up.

Feral Cyborg Gaming
Feral Cyborg Gaming

I don't care what anyone says, Superman pointing at me at telling me stuff is great.

William Overton
William Overton

Not necessarily there were three robins.bthis definition is wrong tokenization is to make your symbol into a token of something else. It's why it's changed how it's changed don't belong in the term

K, U aren’t a KILLA
K, U aren’t a KILLA

Cringe

William Overton
William Overton

It's hard to put the "real" super girl in comix she's butch

TheMasonator777
TheMasonator777

What do you think of South Park’s approach to this issue?

AMENDING  LIBERTY
AMENDING LIBERTY

MY FAVORITE VIDEOS FROM RIPPA ARE THE EXPLANATION VIDEOS🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🤍🤍🤍🤍🤍🤍

MMA KING jr
MMA KING jr

Facts keep on preaching youngriippa

Pandemic Special
Pandemic Special

9/10 they're always bad because it's the same character.

Magus TheGreat
Magus TheGreat

I really like Sam Jackson as Nick Fury in the MCU. He does a great job and it's Samuel mother fucking Jackson. And it doesn't really change the character. But trying to shoehorn him back into the comics is fucking stupid.

John Martin
John Martin

Nice job

heretic124
heretic124

The complete lack of African culture representation in western media never ceases to amaze me. They'll black wash everything and everyone before they'd adapt a single African myth or legend. And no, Wakanda isn't it though it certainly counts as at least being originally black. Now I'll patiently wait for White, Yellow or Brown Panther. Oh wait. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

Lord Heroic Guy
Lord Heroic Guy

Well I'm glad this was made. It tells you everything you need to know about Tokenization loud and clear.

Kragar01
Kragar01

I wouldn’t call Carol Danvers a tokenised character, she evolved into one about the time she became “Captain Marvel”.
She used to be a complex and flawed character back in the day, she had many titles, powers and story arcs. Hell she used to be an alcoholic caused by the stress of superhero life. It got her basically kicked out of the Avengers. She had flaws and vulnerabilities.
Now she’s a joke, she’s meant to be this virtuous unstoppable flawless paragon but comes off as an over powered self righteous a$$hole.

timm holl
timm holl

Ugh! The horrible performances of the live-action snippets you inserted into this video. That passes for acting these days?? I'd rather be forced to watch "Days of Our Lives" while being waterboarded.

DrGrukar McNinjaSixthGun
DrGrukar McNinjaSixthGun

Tokenisation is lazy and disingenuous.
It is the assumption that an original, minority race, female, gay/bisexual character, won't attract an audience on its own, when that is simply not true.

I can understand that a lot of the existing characters have catchy, snappy titles, that are easy to remember and recognise, so using the same name is appealing, but come on, the most memorable and loved ones, are pretty much always the originals.

Whenever I think of anime like Bleach, you had so many beautifully diverse and cool characters, different powers and even when they had the same outfits, they would always have a unique character design to distinguish them as defined personalities. The creativity of it all was amazing, even characters who had minor roles.

SuperWoman's outfit is just a feminised version of SuperMan's, it is boring. Just turning every visible attribute into the opposite, does not an original character make.

I like how the tokenisations seem to think that having, "Black" in the name of the hero, means they ought to be black. Waiting for Yellow Jacket to be turned Asian to really signal how virtuous and not-racist these hacks are.

Darryl Hughes
Darryl Hughes

Brilliant, sir. Brilliant. More.

Creator.Season
Creator.Season

Great video. My friend, who are black and comic fans but millennial, always say it's no big deal. But if it were so trivial, why do they go out the way to do these goofy changes in the first place?

sds522
sds522

All these companies are bigots either way because they ignore the largest minority group in the America's that has the second most spoken language in the world. Latino's and or Hispanics.

In a world of wokeness Latinos/Hispanics are shitted on the most which tells me the wokeness is fake and are all bigots anyway.

Kashouri Katsu
Kashouri Katsu

Nick Fury use tobe david hassleholf

Kurtis Diston
Kurtis Diston

You nail it… Im conflicted here, huge comics fan, write and draw them myself…. but ya, just, retconning a character and shoehorning a special interest in for more 'representation'… really just undermining existing characters when they could be creating new ones… its lazy as fuck. that said, the Spiderverse has a history of the multi dimensional shit, and that movie was one of the best super hero movies let alone animated films we've seen…. tho, the part where his literally just looking at a comic book an like… oh im black peter parker… kinda makes your point. You're righteous bro, appreciate someone who obviously gives a fuck saying the things you are.

Banhbao
Banhbao

i have nothing againts tokenized characters. but i dont like when they do it just so they can have a poc lgbt+ version of another characters.
good writing and good character design should always come first. and yeah you could use skin colours and sexual orientation to appeal to your audiences, whatever, but those should never be the main and only appeal of the character.

Shannon Jones
Shannon Jones

Can a tokenized character; be made better,and original if they are letter developed with their own original mantles? Example, if you took black wally west, and give him a different mantle originally of his own. Make it to where he's a speedster who's completely outside the West Allen bloodline. His own original origin story. Character motivations and development.

Joshua Melton
Joshua Melton

Facts

Hermit Card
Hermit Card

Speaking about tokenization, how about in the Thor movies, Idris Elba played the rainbow bridge guardian, who in the norse legends was called THE WHITEST OF THE NORSE GODS 😂😂🤣😂🤣😂

Tyler Worsham
Tyler Worsham

I don't hate all tokenized characters since not all of them come from a lazy or disingenuous place in their creation (like the aforementioned She-Hulk and OG Batgirl, for example), but it's a sad fact that most examples of tokenization sadly do not come from a genuine place and deserve most of the derision they get, especially the more modern weirdo leftist ideology-driven examples.

Lucas Monteiroo
Lucas Monteiroo

This video is perfect man. If you could put portuguese subtitles so that i can send it to my friends, i would thank you very much!

Joshua Tica
Joshua Tica

Instead of rebooting the old and iconic superheroes and villains, try making new original superheroes and villains instead. It isn’t that hard and you can make your heroes however you want as long as you make them interesting

I Metsger
I Metsger

Great video, but I wish you would explained why She-Hulk is a good tokenization. Hope you do more videos like this in the future.

The Stranger
The Stranger

Aw, you did Miles Morales from Enter the Spider-verse a little dirty. That movie has the best origin story for Miles Morales which goes beyond simple tokenization (yes, it's better than the comic book origin which sucked hard).

Anibal A. Morales Sanchez
Anibal A. Morales Sanchez

I always liked Miles more than Peter and I'm white. Disregard that I'm Puerto Rican and we share the same surname.

Sean H.
Sean H.

Tokenization has overtaken western comics. It will be the demise of the industry. Nothing new, nothing original, just a checklist.

DrFranklynAnderson
DrFranklynAnderson

Ironically, Barbara Gordon became untokenized when she was paralyzed and operated as Oracle instead of Batgirl. But then DC returned her to her more “iconic” (AKA, “sells more t-shirts”) status, retokenizing her and losing some of the best diversity representation they’ve ever had.

Sean H.
Sean H.

Spawn is the best example of how a non tokenized character works well.

NFT Daily News
NFT Daily News

It’s not laziness. It’s to destroy culture.

Jean-Mi
Jean-Mi

Thank you for this explanation that I can share with some of my friends who don't understand my anger when facing this curse !

MR. WHO
MR. WHO

So tokenized or tokenization is mainly for minority

Wave 876
Wave 876

Great video 🙌💯💪🏿 "NUFF SAID"

Stephen Strange
Stephen Strange

Idk if I'd count Robins as tokenism since each robin is a completely different person on purpose. Stephanie brown isn't just "girl robin" in that sense. Now if they made a live action batman with with black dick Grayson or Tim drake, then yea thats tokenism. As long as it's a new robin then idc if theyre black or brown.

Raye Cufley
Raye Cufley

Well said Rippa; this hits all the notes.

Stephen Strange
Stephen Strange

I get that they want to capitalize off the Spiderman name, but I always hate when two heroes run around with the same name. Why didn't they name Miles Morales Arachnid or something. Much less tokenized that way. Different real name, hero name, slightly diff powers.

Jon David
Jon David

Meanwhile, new and original ideas like mine are dying.

Artamus Sumatra
Artamus Sumatra

The PTB in the pathetic dregs of whats left of the entertainment industry get off on presenting long beloved characters in “A whole new light/like you’ve never seen them before!” Nevermind that it’s really just a phoney virtue signaling deflection tactic.

By now, it’s been done so many times, it’s become just a predictable cliche – it never works, always pisses/drives off the fans/paying customers, and always loses money for the rights holders of the IP. I’m convinced these morons won’t stop it until they really do go broke- hopefully soon!