The Front Page: Britain orders vaccines for 2022; Myanmar’s military coup; Harry accepts apology
Britain’s storming further ahead with vaccine preparations by securing another 40 million doses from a French firm – and its become the first country in the world to announce it’s stocking up on jabs for next year.
The deal with Valneva boosts the total number on order by the UK to 407 million – that’s enough to deliver a dose to everyone in the country more than five times over.
Boris Johnson’s told the Evening Standard he’s “confident” the additional doses, along with the country’s existing pipeline, will ensure protection for citizens next year and beyond.
One of Scotland Yard’s top officers says the Met will continue to carry out “disproportionate” stop and searches of young black Londoners in an attempt to save lives.
Deputy Commissioner Sir Stephen House says officers were paid to use their brains and need to focus on “where the problem lies”.
He says it’s “nonsense” to think that the majority of ethnic Londoners subjected to checks have been badly treated.
He also disclosed that 300 knives a month are being seized during searches.
Sir Keir Starmer’s warned of an “enormous” mental health burden placed on over 200,000 Londoners living in homes made unsafe by inflammable cladding.
He’s been speaking to the Evening Standard ahead of Labour forcing a vote this evening calling on the government to set up a cladding national task force to help those living in death trap flats.
Last week, this newspaper revealed people were facing bills of up £100,000 to make their homes safe, and are unable to sell them after mortgage lenders effectively ruled many valueless.
Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi’s urging her supporters “not to accept” a military coup that’s seen her detained by armed forces.
Commanders say they’re taking control of the country for a year, alleging voting fraud in last year’s election, which Ms Suu Kyi’s party won by a landslide.
A letter written by her before the action has been released saying the move puts the country back under a dictatorship and calls for people to protest.
The Duke of Sussex has accepted an apology and “substantial damages” from the publishers of the Mail on Sunday after he was accused of snubbing the Royal Marines when stepping down as a senior royal.
An article claimed senior military figures were “exasperated” with the situation and wanted to find a replacement for Harry as Captain General of the Royal Marines.
In his claim, Harry argued the story could damage his ability to help military veterans.
At the High Court the Duke formally agreed to settle the case with ANL – he’s donating the damages to his Invictus Games charity.
There’s more on standard.co.uk
Subscribe to the Evening Standard on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7RQon_YwCnp_LbPtEwW65w?sub_confirmation=1