D&D DRAMA: Dragonlance Author THROWS SHADE at Critical Role?!

Drew Taylor
Drew Taylor

Critical Role was a double-edged sword, as most of Geek & Sundry’s content. It brought Geek culture into the mainstream, and we all reveled in the Geek Chic movement because it validated our hobbies, but the price was allowing the very people who traditionally bullied and ostracized us as kids. We allowed the abusers to run the game shops. This is what the hobby has become now: victimizers capitalizing on those they abused. In our need to become the “cool kids” we made a Faustian bargain with the populars at the lunch table.

Philip Smith
Philip Smith

Dude! That cover art takes me back. Wow

Gyor Gyor
Gyor Gyor

Aasimar are part celestial people, the celestial opposite of fiendish Tieflings. Both races, along with Genasi and more obscure races are called Planetouched.

levert2457
levert2457

Hey one of the third editions of Dungeons and Dragons have aasimar as a race in their game

Jason Grycewicz
Jason Grycewicz

The Dragonlance chronicles were some of the first books I ever bought and some of my favourites

HutchTheWolf
HutchTheWolf

Aasimar is basically the celestial version of a tiefling.

NightClubSamurai
NightClubSamurai

this is why i switched to shadow of the demon lord

José Fonseca
José Fonseca

Critical Role was good until they start adding their weird fetishes to the game.

crimsonsam77
crimsonsam77

Dnd is awesome but a lot of this politicing in our games is dumb especially in fantasy. Still, I say play the way the you and your group wants and if someone doesn't like it they can find a new group (that includes both being political and not). Happy tho we're getting more Dragonlance :).

kronos1794
kronos1794

I'm not a fan of 5e, so I play 3.5 and Pathfinder. If you don't like what Wotc is doing then don't play it, they can't take the old material from you, homebrew is always a thing, and there are tons of other ttrpg systems out there.

AvengerII
AvengerII

ComicBook.com is a joke —
Please, can we IGNORE these guys most of the time, let their ad money/views dry up, and see them become completely irrelevant?
It finally happened with most of the awful comic book "review" (re: Woke indoctrination) websites.
I never got big into D&D. Feel bad for you, guys, but this is obviously what happens when you let Hollywood take a leading role in your hobby.
How many IP's has Disney alone ruined? At my last count, at least 6 major franchises.

spiderham20
spiderham20

WOTC has the same problem that many video game companies have right now, More people are watching than playing, If and when Critical Role stops being

GrimThe13
GrimThe13

Aasimar: Humanoid with angelic ancestry(one of the parent or a long lost ancestor)

Gunter the penguin
Gunter the penguin
Matthew Smith
Matthew Smith

for reference an Aasimar is a half angel.

murdoc4312
murdoc4312

I'm all for introducing new player, I'm ok with zoo cruw games. But at conventions ( pre covid-19). 4 hours is not enough time, for some of the creative writing project I have sat down with.

John Shaffer
John Shaffer

Asimar are the good aligned counterpart of Tieflings.

shrap 3D
shrap 3D

Just cause something is new, doesn't mean its good, better, etc…

Aric Blackwood
Aric Blackwood

Aassamar are basically celestial versions of Tieflings

Paladin Demo
Paladin Demo

Now we march.

SinnerBeta
SinnerBeta

I don't have anything against Critical Role, they seem like a bunch of friends playing the game their way, but man is their style NOT what most RPG players want, pushed only by people that don't play the game and like to fantasize about they would play it.

babyfarck Mcgeezazkz
babyfarck Mcgeezazkz

If WOTC's marketing department didn't know the name "D&D" sold books, then modern "D&D" would be a different IP altogether.
That's all this is. Marketing labeling a different new game as an older game to make bank, covering their butts with the "It's a different edition" excuse.
If I took OSR and relabeled it "Exalted 76th edition" that wouldn't make it Exalted. It would still be OSR and I would have a bunch of pissed off Exalted nerds clamoring for my blood.