Disney+ BANS Classic Walt Disney Movies for Kids

A.J. DeNofa
A.J. DeNofa

I'm getting sick of people calling the smallest things racist. Does anyone even remember what racist means? I've got it pasted from an online dictionary here:

Racist
NOUN

a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

"the comments have led to her being called a racist"

synonyms:

racial bigot · racialist · xenophobe · chauvinist · anti-Semite · (racially) discriminatory · prejudiced · bigoted · biased · intolerant · illiberal · anti-Semitic

ADJECTIVE

showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another.

"we are investigating complaints about racist abuse at the club"

I've watched a lot of these Disney movies and I don't see anything that fits the word. None of the characters who seem to be modeled after people of different races are being portrayed in a negative light. They are more of a homage to them. I even found this on Disney wiki about the crows from Dumbo:

Dumbo is often criticized as "racist" for the inclusion of the black crows as African-American caricatures; specifically the naming of Jim, which is an ironic and sarcastic reference to the infamous Jim Crow laws with the intent to mock them, "taking a cartoony jab at them".[7] However, many critics, pundits and personalities reject these criticisms, noting that the majority of the crows are portrayed by African American actors (with the exception of Cliff Edwards) and their lead animator described them as being spoofs of many black entertainers at the time, with their clothes being based on 1930-40s fashion, such as Jim's derby hat and spats. The crows, however, have been viewed as protagonistic, being sympathetic to Dumbo's tribulations, and work with Timothy to perfect Dumbo's flying ability.

When accepting her Disney Legends award in 2017, Whoopi Goldberg expressed her desire to see the crows appear in more merchandise by Disney.
Along with Goldberg, other notable defenders of the crows are Floyd Norman, Leonard Maltin, Micheal Wilmington, Alex Wainer, Eric Goldberg, John Canemaker, John Grant, and the characters' chief animator, Ward Kimball.

FrostE Entertainment
FrostE Entertainment

Don’t watch Simpsons on Disney plus. They decided to crop the episodes so you miss out on a ton of visual gags and it just looks like some YouTube channel trying to avoid copyright strikes.

CC 1987
CC 1987

Disney is banning Disney movies. WTF!?

wendyheatherwood
wendyheatherwood

I think this is an overaction.

"Maybe they should be rated PG but I don't think they're so bad kids shouldn't be able to watch them at all"

Right. So the kids accounts are meant for young children to be able to watch without parental supervision and a PG rating is meant to tell parents to use their judgement on whether or not their young child should watch it. Logically then anything that might warrant a PG rating should be on the account parents control, so that they can make that decision whether or not to let them watch it?

Nothing is stopping parents who think these films are suitable for their kids putting them on for them. It's just putting the choice in the hands of the parents, which is surely a better option than replacing them with new edits that pretend the scenes in question don't exist?

Papper Turtle
Papper Turtle

Get woke, go broke

Ray Navillus
Ray Navillus

"The world is burning, lets ma!BZZZT!… (ACCOUNT TERMINATED)…..

theredpriest
theredpriest

You know people are getting BAT SHIT CRAZY, when they start banning THEIR OWN movies!

Tolvfen
Tolvfen

Satan in Never ending story?

crome force
crome force

Oh my god even the _7#;8+( parents are to sensitive and what generation do they come from are they all millennials

Hayden Tamou
Hayden Tamou

Tell them to worry about their own movies. Leave walt's stuff alone, there was a tremendous amount of work and history that went into them that it should be respected. Theres still alot to learn from them.

David Catlett
David Catlett

Disney+ is supposed to get an adult section eventually.
A place to put Deadpool and the Alien franchise from Fox and other things (Die Hard).

David Catlett
David Catlett

Also, I think there was a remark made by a Disney representative about how Disney wanted to eventually stop producing physical media.

RC Dune
RC Dune

I miss the good ol days when Disney would actually desensitize children… it made us tough

Sonja Merrick
Sonja Merrick

The comments comparing 6-year-olds not being recommended cartoons with slurs to book burning and censorship are pretty annoying ngl.

Minako Hiashi
Minako Hiashi

I have Disney plus and most of the other streaming sites. Disney plus is easily the worst one. About all it's good for is entertaining children, there's no R-rated movies there's no anime and I'm too old to like most of the Disney Channel sitcom. If you own Disney plus you're only here for Marvel movies and Star Wars which means nothing to me. I'm over here watching the Lion Guard a Disney Junior show. A surprisingly good show but I'm still so desperate for something that im watching Disney Junior

AquaSpark
AquaSpark

Disney: We love our repuation
Also Disney: You don't like the remakes? TOO BAD!!!

Dreamworks:
Sony:
Universal:

laughing in the back

Minako Hiashi
Minako Hiashi

Where is my Song of the south? That is a Disney classic. I have never saw in life. All I know of it is that damn song

Kaitlyn BowmanCarroll
Kaitlyn BowmanCarroll

Man…if we could somehow bring Walt back to present day, he’d be livid.

Shurue
Shurue

They're literally kids movies. They're more suitable for children than they are for anyone else. This is pathetic.

Jeffrey Hargrove
Jeffrey Hargrove

I am 38. I remember watching DUMBO in school in the 4th grade and the teacher explaining that the crows were inappropriate, along with a brief history of the racism around them. We still watched the movie.

I live in IDAHO, Idaho Falls, ID. A conservative state, likely one of the most conservative states in the country. Despite that, Idaho is aware of and has been taught about racism for generations.

So what is my view on Disney adding a disclaimer to the movie? It doesn't matter so long as the movie can still be viewed. Even 30 years ago, in conservative IDAHO, this movie came with a disclaimer if it was to be watched in school. ANY movie that was to be viewed in school, even 30 years ago in Idaho, required a note to be sent home to parents. If it was PG13 or higher, it required not only a letter sent home, but a consent form to be returned.

What Disney is doing is not new to me. It shouldn't be new to most of the country. Dumbo has been seen as "problematic" since I was a child. It came with a disclaimer for kids and parents before the internet even streamed movies. Before youtube even existed.

Christopher Lahart
Christopher Lahart

And how can kids under 7 even think about today's racism issues? I sure as heck didnt at that age and didnt till i think i was middle school,lol Disney+ is joking itself,lol

PrincessPeachFan100
PrincessPeachFan100

I'm probably just gonna buy all these classics on DVD now. This is so dumb. T_T Disney's slowlly going down the drain thinking they can just kill their own classics like that. Alot of us at young ages grew up with these old movies on VHS and stuff and we were never concerned about those issues because we didn't even care or even know about that stuff at young ages back then and now they think it's a good idea to just ban them forever to not even show them to the new generation kids today just because of a few certain scenes? T_T That's so stupid! It's only erasing Walt's legacy, and making us fans of thier REAL animated movies upset, because we love these movies, and kids used to grow up with these movies. T_T They never had issues about that crap in those movies back then, so why are they even doing this or even concerned? T_T And plus they are ONLY CARTOONS too, there's nothing wrong with them, no little kid would really even understand what those scenes ment yet or were about yet or be concerned about them, and they never had problems with these movies before, and we enjoyed them as young kids anyways with those scenes. They should just leave these classic movies ALONE and STOP trying to ruin them, and NOT ban them for stupid reasons, it would show the kids today REAL animation too, and it's apart of Walt's history. EVERYONE should see these classics the way they are. You shouldn't just edit them completely or lock them away or ban them forever just because of certain scenes that are apart of the movie that makes them what it is, that's so dumb. (They could of at least put a disclaimer that's it's from a different era or something like alot of people were saying. ) Oh, well, they KNOW everyone hates this decision, and either they'll put them back on the service from all the hate, or people will beable to just buy all these classics on DVD and Blu-Ray and for their kids to enjoy anyways and there's NOTHING they can do about that. XD

Jack Raiden
Jack Raiden

I gatta buy Treasure Planet, Mulan, The emperor's new groove, Tarzan and Hercules XD darn it, also Coco and Moana XD too many!

Keith Griffin
Keith Griffin

This is a slippery slope fallacy.

Tulga Badrakh
Tulga Badrakh

In that case why don't they just ban all of the Disney films? Pretty much all of them have at least one stereotype or are they just banning non white stereotypes? That seems racist in itself.

The Wilmeister
The Wilmeister

Finally someone else said it, Sidney Poitier is the 2nd black man to win an Oscar, unfortunately he's often acknowledged as the first. As much as I love Sidney Poitier, it's James Baskett who is the first black man to win an Oscar and he won it on merit which is so rare.

Foxeye
Foxeye

It’s funny how the more progressive you become, the more racist and sexist you end up being.

Brian Daleske
Brian Daleske

I wonder why the (DISNEY PLUS) broadcast network; Is banning showing the classic DISNEY movies, and classic DISNEY cartoon movies on it?

Shelbs
Shelbs

If they banning from kids profiles, that's fine. I'll just go to my adult profile instead, so me and my future child can enjoy one of my fav movies together! 😀

Olle Flodqvist
Olle Flodqvist

How Many turns do you think Walt Disney's doin' in His grave?

Monica English
Monica English

Laughs in DVD 📀

Tony Nola
Tony Nola

Jesus people are stupid. They didn't ban those movies. It's on Disney plus but on the adult account with a disclaimer, children can still watch them with there parents permissions. People need to calm the fuck down. Jesus Christ

Donna Chisholm
Donna Chisholm

Even when I was little I didn't even cared about the crows

Versus 22
Versus 22

It could be a problem if they add the adult content on Disney + like it's being rumoured.