Student Loans Are Total Nonsense, Should The FEDS Be Able To CHARGE INTEREST On Student Loans??

vladviking
vladviking

Investors want a return on the money. A bank is a collection of investors that interest, however meager is paid too. If nothing else it keeps up with inflation. So I'm wondering what bank or lending institution will find student loans profitable enough to bother with. I don't know but something tells me the FED is not going to pay full value, interest included and collection attempt costs on a default any way. With the FED it's probably more like you HAVE to do this and you really don't have much to say about the deal.

HEDGE1011
HEDGE1011

If you take out a loan…you have to repay it. It’s a loan. That’s literally what a loan is.

The real question is whether the government should be loaning money for non-STEM degrees in the first place.

Daniel Tyborowski
Daniel Tyborowski

Looks at my sister's kid on the tablet watching some stupid not necessarily childish, but no substance., Me back in the day in front of the tv watching real documentaries ( when they actually showed them) food network ( back when it tried to teach you) the cartoons tried to teach how to be selfless, not how to be yourself. That's not what changed, What changed is what they wanted us to become.

TheGeordieClan
TheGeordieClan

What happened to personal responsibility? No one twisted your arm or put a gun to your head. You made an agreement now honor it.

James H
James H

Interest isn't to hedge against non payment. Interest is charged to offset the opportunity cost of giving the money as a loan instead of doing something else with it. You want 10k? I could buy a sweet home theater setup for that much, or invest it, or use it to buy happy meals for my entire neighborhood. So in order to convince me to loan it to you instead, I need to get something for it. So I charge interest.

MAI NGUYEN
MAI NGUYEN

If you keep forgive student loan, that kid will never need to leave college, cause they don't think they need to pay the loan, that his/her education is free so why do they need to go out work, or work hard to leave college.. by forgiven the loan, that kid will never learn responsibility. that is what happen now. The parent work their butt off, provides everything for the kids.. they have no responsibility.. they don't know what is hard work. So when they goes out to the work.. they are in shock…so no… if you go to school, it your choice..it your choice to borrow money for higher education.. then it your responsibly to repaid that .. it part of grown up

Atlee Lang
Atlee Lang

I worked and saved for 5 years to pay off my loans. You can forgive other people's loans when you figure out how to give me 5 years of my life back.

ssjwes
ssjwes

You know what? Fuck you guys. I KNEW this would be your argument when I read the title. "well it's Gov. loans…" guess what mf's WHO MADE IT THAT WAY AND WHEN DID THE GOVERNMENT TAKEOVER the student loan business… YOU guys create problems then turn around and say YOU know how to fix them… DEMOCRATS ARE THE REASON WHY THE GOV. IS INTO STUDENT LOANS SO DEEP!!!
I'M NOT PAYING FOR YOUR LOANS UNLESS I GET TO TAKE AWAY YOUR DEGREE!!! FUCK OFF

Nicolas Clark
Nicolas Clark

They still are doing nothing while in high school!

DOG FACE
DOG FACE

I won't even listen to this shit! HELL NO WE DON'T LET ALL THE MILENIAL FUCKING CRY BABY'S OFF THE HOOK!!!!! 😡🖕

Jefrey Valencia
Jefrey Valencia

NO, no one force you to take a loan. You would have to use the same argument on any loan ever given.

For practical education that is insane checks (that's easy). Business?? There are so many business graduates, do all of them have businesses? If businesses were as easy as that everyone will be businessmen (the crap that in the old days most people owns a business is not a valid argument when you have to compete with corporation). It's not impossible but don't simplify it that everyone can do it (it sound nice but it's not how reality works)

IBDB
IBDB

Service’s rendered = “please remit payment “.

Thomas Walters
Thomas Walters

The problem is in school we taught that college was the only good choice outside of joining the military. Then colleges turn into a for profit business, offered useless majors, and promos you success. Then after you graduate you are working as a temp at a warehouse picking orders for Amazon paired with a $50k+ debt.

ssjwes
ssjwes

I WAS TOO POOR AND NOT THE RIGHT SKIN COLOR TO GO TO COLLEGE… I'M NOT PAYING YOUR SHIT.
I WILL RIOT IF THEY TRY TO FORGIVE THEM AND NO I DIDN'T MISS TYPE THAT.
I'M NOT PROTESTING JUST GOING STRAIGHT TO RIOTING.
AND YES MY CAPS IS ON, FUCK YOU TOO.

Jim Motley
Jim Motley

If you received something of value you should pay for it. Did the college degree benefit you? Did you make a bad decision? I see it all the time at local large colleges, these kids live like kings getting a ridiculous degree having the College Experience. Sorry I paid my way pay yours

Joe Harris
Joe Harris

Can the debt be partly written off with your taxation I’m in Australia you can claim tax relief for somethings just asking?

Hobo Joe
Hobo Joe

"School isn't a place for smart people"
Rick Sanchez
– Tim Pool

Tensor Tab
Tensor Tab

Learn some economics, children.

steprockmedia
steprockmedia

Wrong right off the bat. Interest is NOT to guarantee risk. It's to earn a profit from the business of lending money.

Edit: But Tim gets it right about learning from an early age and how High School is teaching the wrong things.

Politically Mental
Politically Mental

I am for it actually. To debase one argument I'm seeing in the comments to, if all federally backed loans are forgiven, you're not paying for it. From an economic standpoint, doing so would free up millions of people to then spend that money in the economy. I joined the army, and paid off the few loans on top of my gi bill. Here's a thought, if you cam get your car loan backed by the federal government I'll be happy to vote for it to be forgiven.

I imagine you all dont remember how the economy looked after 08? Where the only jobs available were retail or fast food. Now we see a need for skilled labor but that need was not there 10 years ago. We only see it now, because people are retiring leaving a gap that cant be filled because we never taught these kids how to do it. But all that doesn't matter because of the sentiment that no one can profit off an issue unless I can too.

Paul Rossetti
Paul Rossetti

interest forgiveness; YES, zero interest (but then the govt cant sell YOUR DEBT to make a profit…boohoo)
and only to citizens
full loan forgiveness; NO/ maybe if you are a vet, its the least the govt can do …..so no but only if you are a veteran.

Joey Young
Joey Young

There is a reason why urusry is a sin in the Bible.

Gary Grant
Gary Grant

The rule of thumb for student debt is that you do NOT borrow any more than what you will earn for your first year of work. That is to say. if you borrow $50,000 to pay for college, then it needs to be for a degree that will give you a $50,000 annual salary/wage as STARTING pay.
So, you have borrowed $200,000 to get your Bachelor of Arts in Underwater Basket Weaving? Good plan.

Fernando Martínez
Fernando Martínez

Not only has the education system failed to teach us things we really need to know to join be fully functioning citizens, the system has also sabotaged our capacity to be self-determining and self-taught. We shouldn't be afraid of working on new things because "they didn't teach us that at school".

Hari Seldon
Hari Seldon

Another issue is that the amount of the loans, going to the universities via the students, is rediculous. KNowing that the government is funding the majority of the issue the universities have continued to put the rates up. There should be a FREEZE on college fees – and also a freeze on the loans current in place – particulalry interest rates should be removed as they have contributed to the inflation of fees – that means those currently affeted by the inflation have a chance of paying back the money because ongoing inflation will eat away at the principal.

Creeps Compilation
Creeps Compilation

Hell, the FUCK NO !!!!
Why should I pay my mortgage then?

Casper Ghost
Casper Ghost

Interest is not about the risk of getting paid back as much as it's about making up for the fact that that capital is not available to the lender while the borrower is repaying.

Atomicmonkey
Atomicmonkey

you don't forgive loans, you steal from the people who the money is owed

Jack Mehoff
Jack Mehoff

The colleges should be forced to pay them back… with interest… and liquidated as necessary

Joshua S
Joshua S

A majority of students going to college are upper middle to upper class. Why should everyone who doesn't have the advantage of college pay for the privileged who went to college and now have that advantage. College graduates make more money than non-college graduates on average so why should they get their loans forgiven by those who earn less???

-From a current college student who works hard to pay for his tuition

V Star 1300 Adventures
V Star 1300 Adventures

100% no.

As an adult, meeting your most basic responsibilities means keeping your word, and paying your bills.

Dooley Goudeau
Dooley Goudeau

Don't take the loans. Pick a good major like STEM

Kelly Conroy
Kelly Conroy

It's a loan. You agreed to it so pay it back. That's how it works. Damn crybabies.

ler2013
ler2013

I belive at the age 18 you are responsible for the choice you make.
You get a loan therefore you pay for it. I went to college then drop off the second year and never got a loan.

Fyi planing to go back with the company i am working to get a certificate to get a better place at my current work place