Netflix paying $450 million for Rian Johnson’s “Knives Out” Sequels?

The Real Guy The Best Guy
The Real Guy The Best Guy

As much as I really like Star Wars, I agree with the sentiments of the Redlettermedia guys: “Star Wars is creatively bankrupt”. Sad to say it but it’s true.

jessica butler
jessica butler

Has Netflix lost their collective minds??? 😡😡😡😡😡

Matthew Wheeler
Matthew Wheeler

Honestly, the Last Jedi isn't that bad of a movie. It's just not a great Star Wars movie.

Johnson has said it himself-he's not the kind of director to have playing in a sandbox where things are already built. But give him a solo movie and he tends to do fine. Just keep him away from Star Wars if he can't respect what came before.

NATHAN BRADSHAW
NATHAN BRADSHAW

I hate Netflix. Disney and HBOMAX👍🏾

Tevya Smolka
Tevya Smolka

hopefully the sequels to knives out turn out good

Aksel Lien
Aksel Lien

In conclusion, capitalism is both the fountain and the murderer of creative storytelling

Robert
Robert

Good for him, but I'm not going to watch a single one

Michael Flores
Michael Flores

Knives out was a hella good movie but just keep him away from Star Wars lol

Lionard Kirsch
Lionard Kirsch

Not sure how a murder mystery is supposed to become a great shared universe but I'm still wishing Rian every luck in the world with these movies, even if I ain't the biggest TLJ fan.

And as for Hollywood getting creatively bancrupt, well I think that's an issue with Entertainment Media im generell these days because I haven't seen all that much originality or masterpiece like stuff for quite a while now, even in Anime and Manga. Though I always assumed that would happen because the pit of creativity and original ideas ain't infinite and now is just the time were we are hitting the bottom of the pit, were everything has already been done before and beaten to death. So I guess the best thing I can hope from entertainment media is to just make their storys as enjoyable as possible so that I don't get bored with whatever ripoff or shared-universe comes next.

Will
Will

as much as i liked Knives Out, this is ridiculous

David Smith
David Smith

So far he's 0/1 writing sequels for things. He also doesn't care about worldbuilding, which becomes more important in a franchise. This sounds pretty desperate. Imagine Tarantino agreeing to make any of his movies into a sequel. Have some self respect, Rian.

Venzynt
Venzynt

honestly, we gotta let it go at some point
rian is still movie guy out there doing things, but its fine

PJack05
PJack05

He can make whatever movies he wants I don't care, as long as he doesn't touch Star Wars again 🙄

ONTEEZY
ONTEEZY

Knives out was one of my favorite non star wars/marvel movies. I really hope he sticks to what he does well and doesnt last jedi these next movies up

apstrike
apstrike

I'm as much of a fan of knives out as I hated The Last Jedi. But even coming at it from that perspective, it's an odd thing to try and turn into a series. You can carry over Daniel Craig as the southern detective, and you could recreate the same aesthetic, but everything else about the story would have to be new. This includes replacing the compelling young female protagonist and all the quirky crazy relatives. It's very hard for lightning to strike twice in that way. I too would take this as some sort of comment on the bankruptcy of Hollywood. They just don't seem to have any judgment as to what might make a good series or universe and what is a single story.

Arthur Fortes
Arthur Fortes

I Hope Rian Johnson makes his own original, non-Star Wars, sci-fi trilogy of movies. At least, he would not have to face toxic fans from Star Wars and would be able to create his own movie Universe.

Richard Sylvester
Richard Sylvester

But it wasn't even a very good murder mystery … ? Anyone who is a fan of the genre knows that.
It stinks of the writer saying "look how clever I am, look how clever this writing is, loot at me look at me look at me".

Mandalorian 637
Mandalorian 637

I think some franchises like terminator are definitely pass their time, however Star Wars and marvel has so much for them to keep going that until things start getting lazy, theirs more to come

ItsAlx
ItsAlx

I don't blame him for the Last Jedi. There are some things I appreciate about the movie. However, I blame Kathleen Kennedy for "planning" out the trilogy.

Diogo Rocha
Diogo Rocha

Sequels' name: The Last Knives Out

RuyLopezQB6
RuyLopezQB6

Exactly. SW blew minds because it was like nothing else, while the sequels fizzled out telling people about what was already shown decades ago.
As for the RJ deal, there was a bidding war among the streamers, and Craig is presumably attached for both sequels – hence the price.

a